Quilting Tip #5 - Pinning for Accuracy
I know, I know - pinning takes time. It does not always ensure a perfect seam.
BUT, and yes, there is but - it helps tremendously! If you are working for those perfect seam matching, you need pins.
I am a HUGE proponent of pinning - I pin all my pieces - well, not all, but 98%!
Here are 5 reasons pinning is a good idea.
- Accurate Seam Matching - this goes without saying - pinning helps with those alignments.
- Preventing fabric shifting. Anyone who has sewn with a few layers knows how fabrics can shift.
- Maintain Block Shape - pinning the block not just along the seam, but in the middle can help maintain the Blocks shape.
- Safety and Control - Pins offer you more control with those smaller pieces and helps keep your fingers out of harm's way. Also, grab that stiletto - it's your best friend (a seam ripper works well too)
- Quilting Long Strips - oh my! Those long strips - every sewn a border on without pinning and then your long armer told you that your quilt was wonky? That is why - the bottom feeds slightly more than the top. Pinning help this tremendously. Take the time and pin those borders!
Make pinning more fun by turning up the tunes, grab a cute set of pins and go for it!
- Tags: Pins
- Jennifer Armentrout