Quilting Tip #2 Why Accurate Cutting is Critical for Quilters
Like most other quilters, I started off not knowing anything about sewing, quilting, or crafting - I just knew I wanted a creative outlet.
I You Tubed how to sew and cut, daily, hourly, over and over again - and invested a cheap rotary cutter and mat. It did the job, but I was frequently frustrated and perplexed on why I could not match seams - really, a 1/4" seam and my block was too small. So many issues. However, I still made quilts and still crafted - I loved it.
As I invested more in it and my tools of the trade were upgraded, so did my precision. Now, I am seriously a work in progress - aren't we all?
But if you are wondering whether to invest a good cutting, here are 5 reasons why!
1.Precision - Accurate cutting ensures all your shapes and cuts are the correct size and shape to achieve the precise seam allowance. If your squares are even 1/8" off, it can affect the final block size.
2. Seam Alignment - When fabric pieces are cut accurately, it is easier to match seams and points. Which, you know, on a good day that is challenging - making sure your cuts are accurate make getting those points so much easier.
3. Easier Assembly - You and I both know that squares the same size sew up beautifully. If all the fabrics line up straight - sewing is a breeze!
4. Cut Down on Fabric Waste - This is the whole Measure Twice and Cut Once saying. Miscuts can be tamed by not cutting in a rush and taking your time. Ask me how I know!
5. A More Professional Appearance. When fabrics are cut with precision and the seam allowances are accurate, the whole quilt lays smoother with less wonkiness - making your quilt look a lot more professional!
While there is nothing wrong with your rotary cutter or mat - there is something to accurate rulers.
Here at Threaded Lines, we love Creative Grids Rulers and Templates and Jaybird Rulers!
Our Top 3 Rulers
1) Stripology Rulers - any size
2) Hex n' More Ruler by Jaybird
3) Wonky Log Cabin Ruler - very popular for a log cabin quilt!
Cutting Mats we love
1) Any of the Creative Grid Mats
2) The new Sew-Tite Magnetic Cutting System - the use of magnets to hold templates and rulers in place easier!
Rotary Cutters we adore
1) Creative Grid Rotary Cutter - seriously, I am a snob about rotary cutters and this is my go-to. Even if others are closer - I always use this one. I love that is it good for lefties and righties!
2) Olfa Splash Cutters - just a good basic cutter that does the job and does it well!
So, as you invest more and more in the world of quilting - cutting tools - mats, rulers, and cutters can truly make a difference in your sewing. So find one that works for you and makes your project easier and more precise!
- Jennifer Armentrout