Before I get to the mugrug….
We will be adding cork fabric to our products very soon! The Cork Fabrics are from Portugal and in August many people go on vacation over in Europe, so the production times slow down tremendously. We will be getting the first shipment in about 4-6 weeks.
The first cork we will have in stock is:
- Natural with Gold
- Natural with Silver
- Natural Rainbow
- Surface Yellow (like in these pictures)
- Surface Ocean Blue
- Rose with Gold
- The coolest Pineapple Print on Natural.
The cork that is currently in the store is very limited and we only have one yard each. I can break into smaller pieces – just send me an email if you are interested. I may actually cut them into smaller pieces anyway. I wanted to here from you first though.
Back to my original point! Cork Mugrugs!
I have made cork wallets, pouches and handbags, but I wanted to see how cork would do with quilting. So, starting small, I made a couple of quick mugrugs – which you can do in an afternoon easily.
Although working with the cork is a little fiddly, it is amazing! I am definitely going to try a larger project with it.
For one mugrug, it takes about 7 – 2.5″ square cork pieces and 8 – 2.5″ cotton pieces for the top, a 12″ x 8″ backing piece and batting and 45″ of binding. I like very long binding pieces – I would rather have too much than not enough. The mugrug should end up about 10.5″ x 6.5″.
Simply arrange the pieces 5 squares across with 3 rows and sew together. I always place the cork on the bottom when sewing since the cotton is so thin, I feel like I have more control over it. I liked to sew the 3 pieces, top to bottom, so I could manage the cork better and line up the seams easier.
I will say, since the cork is much stiffer than the cotton, it was very easy to line up the points of the squares. Never perfect, but always beautiful and well-loved!
The cork we have is Pro-Touch which means you can iron on it! YEAH! It does not press down like cotton, but the iron gives it more elasticity. I pressed in the direction of one piece of cork – not two, so only one square was fighting against me. Then once I had it ironed, I took just the top to the machine and ran a top a stitch down each seam line to hold that cork down.
Then, I sandwiched the top with the batting and backing and quilted on the other side of each line.